map-marker Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Store closed

The local Massage Envy in my town closed permanently yet they still insist on charging me my monthly membership for a service they no longer provide. Worst customer service I have ever seen in my life. Who in the world charges for a service they cant provide? Also, who flies to a different state for a back massage? This entire situation is ludicrous, Massage Envy is hands down the worst business ever to scam people like this. This franchise owner should be ashamed of themselves.

User's recommendation: Go anywhere but here for a massage

Jeremiah W Hig

| map-marker Anchorage, Alaska

Front desk employee didn't like me and cancelled my 8 year membership with some made up story that never happened

This front desk employee didn't like me and was really mean to me and I'm just asking her why and what's going on and all the sudden within a day or two my membership I'm banned at like all the locations anywhere in a nearer driving area. I don't know why there's no one I can talk to.

There's no way to appeal it.

I have been a fantastic customer for 8 years. Never had a problem with anyone. I let it go and tried to resign up today and the manager started telling me I was accused of something that made no sense and was a fake story made up by this front desk employee that later got fired for other things.

She just tried to cancel me cuz she didn't like me. No merit to anything.

When I tried to talk to a leader they won't talk to me and they won't put me in touch with the franchise owner who is overseeing the decision but has never met with me. Never talked to me. Never disgust anything with me. Never looked into the employee.

The hierarchy in these are insane.

They are amazing locations but when there's an issue there is literally no way to get help. it's like Facebook where all the sudden something happens and there's no way to talk to anyone or connect with anyone.

Because this is a storefront, I highly recommend you're very careful before you sign up a membership with these guys. Make sure you feel comfortable with the leadership and that they actually know you.

I've even tried to call corporate and guess relations and no one will return my call.

One angry employee that doesn't like you who's disgruntled in her job and gets fired. Anyway, can totally ruin your life and there's no way to talk about it, find out about it or even fix it with this corporate structure that they have.

Loss:
Pros:
  • Some amazing therapists for sure
Cons:
  • Are the only competitor in the area

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: You need to make sure you know and are aware of the franchise owner of the location nearest you and the locations that are nearest you. Anytime there could be a problem that's one-sided reported by an employee that just doesn't like your shirt or your political views or something or anything about you and immediately ruin your life and ruin your membership with no way to stand up for yourself.

Anne K Jjw

| map-marker Mandeville, Louisiana

Mandeville office's failures

Good Afternoon,

You need to send help to the Mandeville Branch of Massage Envy. I cancelled my membership at one point after repeated failures to communicate effectively.

I went to one massage. They told me I had to pay. I told them I had a credit. They said they took that credit because I had failed to show for an appt.

The appt. was in the middle of the school day. I would not have made it. I paid.

Then 3 other times I showed up and they told me my appt had been cancelled and that they tried to notify me, but I received no text, calls or voice mail. The final straw was they texted on a Thursday about my Saturday morning appoint. They called on Friday to confirm Sat. appt for 9 a.m.

I couldn't make it, so I sent my husband who can use his own points. He gets there at 8:45 only to be told the appt was cancelled and given away because my credit card expired (he had the new one). That was it.

My husband kept his account but never goes. I used his credits a couple of times.

Things went well. The last time I used his points they talked me into rejoining. I expressed my concerns about communication. A man came out of the office to tell me that they had solved those problems, so it wouldn't happen again.

I made an appt in that moment for April 4th and one for my husband with the best masseuse who is hard to get (Ryan).

This morning I woke up with intense shoulder pain. We received a text saying they had openings. My husband called and got me an appt at 1 today. I showed up at 12:45.

I asked to add rapid tension and muscle enhancement. The receptionist (young, African American, thin wearing an orange bandana) added it. I asked her to change my Wednesday appt. to my husband or daughter.

She said we cancelled that appt. At this point this is the exact reason I cancelled the first membership. She said we tried to call. I didn't have a record of a missed call or text.

The only text I had from them was all the text they have with opened appoints and confirmation of my Wednesday appt. I pointed out that this was a failure to communicate again and that I would cancel if it continued. I went back to my massage. The clerk said, "Have a nice day," I said, "We will see." Then I went to my massage room with my therapist.

I told her I added rapid tension relief. The therapist told me she didn't do that when not 5 minutes before she added it and didn't mention that. I went back to the lobby to point out yet another failure in communication. The therapist said the girl was new.

The older person there (long, blondish/white hair) said she wasn't knew. When I say this has been two failures to communicate in one morning. The older lady starts yelling at me telling me I'm being rude and that if they get my voicemail they don't have to leave a message to prove it. I asked how I was rude.

She said she heard me. I asked what did I say that was rude. She continued to yell at me, cancel my appt and tell me to leave. I recorded the very end showing that she was not interested in communicating effectively.

I think you should close this office as they obviously don't know what they are doing or how to interact appropriately with people.

They had texted out that they had lots of openings this week. Maybe that is because of their poor customer service attitude.

They are out there representing you. If it were my company, I wouldn't want them operating under my name.

Video of the end--https://www.facebook.com/anne.d.klein.1/videos/743623****52513 You can hear her refusal to communicate effectively.

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Communicate effectively and provide services booked.

Lauryl Vvz

Balance of gift card

Massage Envy - Balance of gift card
Massage Envy - Balance of gift card - Image 2
I cannot reach a customer service agent to find out how much credit or money value is on my Massage Envy card thank you could you please email me this information. renebookerscout@***.com

Preferred solution: BALANCE OF GIFT CARD.... I included a photo of card front and back

User's recommendation: Cant wait to go

Shivani B Nte

| map-marker Jersey City, New Jersey

Too bad, didn’t Rec any help from customer service

Spoke to and shared my review via voice note to Massage Envy customer care but instead of helping me, they just sent an email stating they can't do anything as it's a franchise and they don't own the individual salons. I need to speak to the salon itself.

The staff at the Jersey City franchise is very rude, unhelpful, and dishonest. Even if it's a franchise, the company must still check the services as after all, they are using your name, logo, image, and products to attract customers. How can a company say that they can't do anything since it's a franchise? Really bad.

Even though the salon somewhat agreed with me later on and didn't charge me extra when I had to really go in the argument and make them understand about it, I still want to escalate it.

This is the second time the salon staff has lied and tried to sabotage the services. I want the company to know that this store is decreasing the credibility of the entire Massage Envy.

Pros:
  • Products seems good and can see improvement for full 5 days
Cons:
  • Rude staff
  • Poor customer service not returning call as promised
  • Tried to sabotage my services and total ofthe service

Preferred solution: I want an apology and written agreement to have my next services of full 60 mins like promised and for which I paid for. I want to also get partial refund but that is secondary.

User's recommendation: Please don’t buy the packages they are not worth it and the staff will do anything to give you less services since they already got your money. There are so many better places to get fascial and massages. Don’t waste your time money and energy at massage envy

Samantha A Kdg

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Lutherville Timonium, Maryland

Customer experience

Massage Envy - Customer experience

Hi there. I have had two dilemas two days in a row at a Massage Envy location and I wanted to share in hopes of improving customer experience.

On Tuesday, I booked an appointment online for Thursday at 11am at the Timonium Maryland location. I have a screenshot of the confirmation. I arrived prior to my appointment to complete paperwork as Ive never been to a Massage envy before. The woman at the desk informed me that I did not have an appointment booked on their end and I showed her the confirmation.

She said there was nothing she could do as they were booked for the day which is completely understandable, so I made an appointment for the following day at the same location. I arrived today for my appointment and did the check in/consents on the tablet and also informed the woman who helped me and was questioning me that I had surgery three weeks ago. I told her that I was cleared and she said that it wasnt a problem just to let my therapist know. When I spoke to the therapist she said its their policy to not massage until 8 weeks post -op, so I was sent away again.

While I understand that policy, nowhere was it stated when booking my first appointment online, nor was it stated by the woman who checked me in who I informed. They offered for me to make a third appointment and I dont feel comfortable taking off of work again after two failed attempts of being treated. My disappointment lies in that I took two half-days off work that ended up being for no reason. I had been gifted a gift card 5+years ago and have not made the time to do that for myself.

I finally did and it ended up just being a frustration and a disappointment. Im not sure why my first appointment that I booked online never went through into their system despite me having the confirmation and screenshot. Additionally, I think there needs to be a clear disclaimer or at least the tablet/representative should inform you when you disclose that you have recently had surgery that you will not be treated.

I hope this is taken into consideration. Thank you.

Loss:
Cons:
  • Unclear policies
  • Scheduling and membership services

Preferred solution: Price reduction

Guest

Massage Envy has a bad reputation. They have been sued so many times.

I went in a one a few years ago to ask about packages and the staff were so duhhh!

and dumb, I left and went to a private practice. I see if you write a yelp review about this location, the owner/manager responds.

Matt M Sgo

| map-marker Walpole, Massachusetts

Complaint about booking

There are four ME locations in Memphis, TN and I can NEVER get a couples appointment when needed. So, I went ahead and scheduled one three months in advance, only for ME to call me and cancel my appointment I made three months earlier. I have close to 50 hours of time I cannot use because I can NEVER get in. ME has a good sales pitch to get you to be a member and they have no problem charging you a monthly fee, but fail miserably on delivering their service.
Cons:
  • Can never get an appointment

Preferred solution: Service for my monthly membership fee.

User's recommendation: Do not buy a membership

Resolved
Valerie P Vut

Resolved: False Information from local store

Updated by user Apr 08, 2024

Massage Envy has allowed me to donate the massages to my local first responders as requested.

Original review Apr 03, 2024
I have been a member of Massage Envy since around 2009. I have racked up hours and hours of massages that I will never be able to use and if I cancel I will lose thousands of dollars invested.

My local Massage Envy store advised I could set up a charity account for local 1st responders in my community. I spent weeks getting approval from city council in order to gift them to our first responders. And once I received approval. I went back into my local store who told me they had no idea what I was talking about and that that wasn't a possibility.

I feel as though I am in a lose/lose situation where I have invested thousands and thousands of dollars on something I will never be able to fully use (who can use 80 plus hours?) and can't gift them to our first responders.
I would like some type of solution for my problem.

The rates continued to increase and I continued to pay with no way to get out of it without losing all my money invested. I just want to take what I have paid for and gift it to our first responders.
Loss:

Preferred solution: Be able to transfer my hours to my local first responders

User's recommendation: Make sure you are able to use it regularly before signing it

Kevin B Lzr

| map-marker Buffalo, New York

Great massage but the Front Desk

Bought a But One Get One massage for 50% off on gift cards. Front desk insisted on charging the difference for the second massage. Finally got hold of the manager and she refunded the overcharge.
James A Hts

| map-marker Davie, Florida

Unhappy customer

I went to a Massage Envy on a Saturday afternoon. They say that walk-ins are welcome, but when I walked in, I had to make an appointment for 1:30 to be seen. Let me remind you, this was my first time there and I was going for a facial. I had to wait almost an entire hour, but then I had a family emergency. When I came back, they told me that I would have to wait until 4pm or come back tomorrow. Then, the manager walked out, looked around and went right to the back. I felt a bit racially profiled.
Pros:
  • There are no pros
Cons:
  • Being racial profile
  • No good customer service

User's recommendation: Nope

Agnes J Esn

| map-marker Glendale, California

Receptionist said my card expired

Massage Envy - Receptionist said my card expired
Massage Envy - Receptionist said my card expired - Image 2
I left a message Id like to speak to someone in regards to sone info I received yesterday in La Canada California

User's recommendation: I’ll wait until I revive an answer or call

Jeremy G Ray

| map-marker Oak Park Heights, Minnesota

Tried to cancel

How are you, sometime last year I tried to cancel my massage envy accounts however they told me that I would have to wait the full year until April to do so. At that point I wanted to massage over to cancel my account and I filled out some paperwork and they said it would take up to 10 days to go through, however two months later I'm still getting charged $85 a month. I really wasn't happy with the service. I'm giving him fact that I work a full-time job I'm never going to have an appointment anyway
Loss:
Cons:
  • Steal your money
  • Mostly bad service

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Don't get involved, the service sucks anyway

Ingrem W

Verified Buyer

| map-marker Saint Louis, Missouri

Complaint Regarding Unfulfilled Service and Lack of Refund

Massage Envy - Complaint Regarding Unfulfilled Service and Lack of Refund

Dear [Corporate Office of Massage Envy],

I am writing to express my deep dissatisfaction with the service provided by [Massage Envy]. On 03/14/24, I booked a massage appointment at your [Brentwood] branch.

However, I rescheduled my appointment on Tuesday to Thursday for same scheduled time 4pm, I was made aware that my appointment was not at 4 but was scheduled for 1, though a phone call 15 minutes after 1. And that I past my appointment time and will lose my money. Despite me trying to explain to them that I never gotten a reminder call nor text I was still under the impression my appointment was for 4, no massage was ever administered.

When I approached the staff regarding the situation, I was met with dismissiveness and a lack of accountability. Not only was I denied the service I had paid for, but I was also informed that a refund was not possible due to an obscure policy that was not communicated to me during the booking process or mentioned anywhere in the establishment.

This experience has left me feeling frustrated and deeply disappointed.

As a loyal customer, I had expected better treatment and professionalism from [Massage Envy]. It is unacceptable to withhold payment for a service that was never rendered, and I urge you to rectify this situation promptly.

I kindly request a full refund for the amount paid for the massage appointment.

Additionally, I hope that [Massage Envy] will take appropriate measures to ensure that such incidents do not occur in the future, and that clear and transparent communication regarding policies is provided to customers.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and resolution of this issue.

Sincerely,

Ingrem Washington

User's recommendation: Don’t waste your time

Roberto M Wyx

| map-marker Fort Collins, Colorado

My appointment was canceled by manager without prior warning.

I showed up to my massage appointment. I was checked in, but the manager came outside claiming that I couldn't have any more massages this week, citing supposed concerns about my health and that other customers needed to make appointments, and that he was unaware that I had massages at other locations (which I did not).

He was basically trying to find an excuse to cancel my appointment. This goes against the company's policy that if someone cancels their membership they only have two months to use up all their accumulated prepaid massages.

A person would have to have several massages each week to be able to use their prepaid massages in such a short time. This sounds like a scam to me.

I've been a long time Massage Envy customer, and this is unacceptable.

Pros:
  • Many locations
Cons:
  • Little availability for massages

Preferred solution: Apology

User's recommendation: Find a different massage therapist or pay per massage. Do not get a membership with Massage Envy.

Megan E Ekf

| map-marker Denver, Colorado

I want to cancel my membership but can't get a hold of anyone able to do that.

Massages are slap and tickle, no benefit after 4 massages. I got add-on coupons with my membership but they don't offer the services on the add-on coupons. I'm trying to cancel but can't get in touch with anyone. I keep asking them to work on my neck but only the last 5 min was spent on my neck and there's more lotion in my hair than was ever on my neck. They don't listen to what you want. Last time I asked for my neck to get worked on, he ended up rubbing my glutes. It was super uncomfortable. I will never go back.

User's recommendation: Don't go.

Reginald M Xhy
map-marker Arroyo Grande, California

Suspended account with unused services

If I knew I wouldn't need to contact you, I have over 70 massage credits so it makes no sense and The Streerville Chicago number is disabled
Loss:
Pros:
  • No pros at this point
Cons:
  • Plenty starting with customer service or lack thereof

Preferred solution: Full refund

User's recommendation: Don't bother with membership do alacarte

Brands Related to Massage Envy

Why Trust Reviews on PissedConsumer?

• Professional auto and live moderation
  • 100% user-generated content
  • Equal opportunity and protection
  • Zero tolerance for fake reviews
  • Verified content
  • PissedConsumer is on the Inc. 5000 list

For more information read Blog article