2.8

I came in for leg pain that I had been experiencing for a week with no relief. I had hoped that I would get some relief from a massage that my wife surprised me with.

In the questionnaire on the iPad, I made notes about the leg pain, and even discussed it with Jay, the masseuse, and was excited that I might get some relief. I had entered the room with Jay at 7:03, the clock on the wall was an hour fast (by the way), we talked till 7:07, I was undressed and lying down at 7:08, and he came in at 7:13. I know all of this because I kept checking the time. I was in a lot of pain, and kept rubbing my own hips and thighs for relief while waiting for him.

I would assume he began at about 7:15, and when I got up from the massage, the clock read "9:03" but keep in mind that it was an hour fast, and it was actually 8:03. During the consultation, I told him why I was there, that I had been in tears from pain on Sunday, and that my doctor is trying to figure out where this pain is coming from. Jay mentioned that some of his clients, his daughter, and even he were experiencing pain, too, and that it was just from the weather. He said he would take about a month for my body to acclimate.

I realize that Jay is experienced in his field (he mentioned that he had been doing this for 25 years), but I felt dismissed and invalidated in my pain by his comments. I just wanted a good massage on my legs for relief. He even made a mention that this weather has been unexpected because we have had "shitty" weather the past few years. On his way out the door, I asked if he would still massage my neck area, as that's where I hold stress, and it causes headaches.

My thought was that, if I'm getting a massage, then I may as well ask. He said he could do that, too, after mentioning that he would mostly be working on my legs. He had told me, "I may start on your legs...I may END on your legs!" My impression was that the majority of the time would be spent on my legs, and then a couple minutes on my neck/back area. It was the exact opposite.

He spent (estimation) about 35 minutes on my back/neck, 10 minutes on my right leg, and about 5 minutes on my left (which is the one that causes me the most pain). He didn't even have time to flip me over. I was on my stomach the whole time. I would have said something, except that, while massaging my shoulders, he mentioned something about, "...Still gotta do the legs." That communicated to me that he was still going to make time for my legs.

This is now my second experience with Massage Envy. My last experience was with another masseuse at another location a few years ago, and I thought I would give M.E. another chance; maybe I had a rare bad experience. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

In both situations, I filled out a questionnaire about where I experience pain, and need relief, and still the masseuse seemed to ignore those notes; they both seemed to simply do what they wanted with little regard to my need. I have had much better experiences at other massage businesses, and will not be returning to Massage Envy.

Product or Service Mentioned: Massage Envy Massage Therapist.

I liked: Kind front desk lady.

I didn't like: Massage therapist, Stretching therapist.

Comments